Recipe by LARavenscroft
A recipe that I found on Glutenfreeda.com. I've altered it a little bit. This makes a small 8-inch round coffee cake - just right for a small family.
Top Review by ~SarahBeth~
This is a very good gluten-free recipe! And is an excellent Sunday morning coffee cake, I made the apple mixture on Saturday night and it worked out fine. I was not sure where to add the xanthan gum, so it went in with the flour, and it seemed to prodcue good results! I did not have any almond extract, so I left it out and this was still very yummy! Next time I might make it with the apple mixture on the bottom, like an upside down cake! Thanks for a great recipe! [Made for Newest Zaar Tag]
For the cake
- 1 1⁄2 cups granny smith apples, peeled and thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon, ground
- 1 cup gluten-free flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon pecan pieces
For the glaze
- 1⁄4 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- 1 teaspoon milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Lightly grease an 8-inch round cake pan.
- In a small bowl, combine apples, brown sugar, lemon juice and cinnamon. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the gf flour, xanthan gum, baking soda and salt.
- In a separate bowl, beat the butter and sugar together with a hand held mixer on medium speed until well-blended.
- Add the egg and extracts; beating well.
- Add the flour mixture to the egg and sugar mixture alternating with buttermilk, beginning and ending with the flour mixture.
- Spoon the batter (it will be rather thick) into the prepared cake pan, spreading the top with a spatula to even it out.
- Arrange the apple mixture over the cake.
- Sprinkle with the pecan pieces.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until the cake begins to pull away from the sides of the pan.
- Cool in the pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes.
- Prepare the glaze: In a small bowl, whisk together the powdered sugar, milk and vanilla extract.
- Drizzle glaze over cake.
- Serve cake warm or at room temperature.