Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
Great with chocolate cake!! A family favorite!
Make and share this Buttercream Frosting recipe from Food.com.
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄2 lb cold unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Measure first three ingredients into saucepan and mix thoroughly, then stir in milk until smooth.
- Place over medium heat and cook while stirring constantly until VERY THICK. If not smooth when partially cooked, beat with rotary beater until smooth and then continue cooking.
- Remove from heat and turn into a 2 or 3 quart mixing bowl. For quick cooling-place bowl in cold water. Mixture should be cool enough to NOT melt butter.
- Remove a stick of butter at a time from refrigerator, cut butter into 1/2" pieces. Beat butter into cooled mixture about 2 Tbs at a time, beating until smooth after each addition of butter.
- When all butter is incorporated beat in flavoring. (Other flavors of extract can be used with success).
- Entire beating takes 8-10 minutes. Frosting will spread more evenly if chilled 5-10 minutes after mixing. Thickly covers 3-9" layers. Store cake in refrigerator until serving.
This turned out clumpy,clear, and liquidy. I had to keep adding and adding then straining the confection sugar to make it more hard. I finally decided to add cocoa powder, and that fixed everything. It tastes a lot better now!
I thought this recipe was too sweet and that the flour made it too heavy. Also, there was not enough frosting to frost a 9x13 cake. I tried making it again, and doubled the butter, salt, & milk. I used a little less than 1/2 cup flour, 1/2 t. of vanilla, and only 3/4 cup of sugar. It turned out extremely fluffy and melted in our mouths. My husband loved it.