Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
These are buttery, not-too-sweet muffins with a nice puffy top and a nip of nutmeg (Kind of like a baked Tom & Jerry!) They're a nice little treat in the morning and take no time at all to put together.
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons rum
- 2 tablespoons rum
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- milk, if needed
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Grease or line 12 muffin cups.
- Beat butter with electic mixer until creamy; add 1/2 cup sugar, beating well.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating just until blended after each addition.
- Combine flour, baking powder, salt, cloves and nutmeg in a separate bowl.
- Combine milk and 3 tablespoons of rum in another bowl.
- Add flour mixture to butter mixture alternately with milk mixture, ending with flour mixture and combining only until JUST blended.
- Spoon batter into muffin pan, filling 3/4 full.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden.
- Remove from pans immediately and cool on a wire rack.
- Alternatively, you can make mini-muffins; bake for about 15 minutes.
- Combine remaining 2 tablespoons rum and 3 tablespoons of sugar in a small saucepan; heat slowly, stirring constantly until sugar dissolves.
- If mixture is too thick, add a little milk.
- Brush glaze over warm muffins.
My muffins came out very dry and while the rum flavor is present, the actual muffins were not very sweet at all, however i will give this 3 stars because the glaze was delicious and added nice sweetness, but i don't think i will make this again. If i do, i will add a lot more sugar.
I made 6 different muffin recipes for our family camping trip.All were eatten but these..No one really cared for the flavor and the muffins are dry..I am sorry,but will not be making again..
Everyone in the house loved these!Especially me!