Hot Buttered Rum Muffins
photo by Sandy W.
- Ready In:
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1/2 cup margarine, softened
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 5 tablespoons rum, divided
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- Beat butter at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy.
- Add 1/2 cup sugar, beating well.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating just until blended after each addition.
- Combine flour and next 4 ingredients.
- Combine milk and 3 tablespoons rum.
- Add flour mixture to butter mixture alternately with milk mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture.
- Beat at low speed until blended after each addition.
- Spoon into greased muffin pans, filling 3/4 full.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until golden.
- Remove from pans immediately; place on wire racks.
- Combine remaining 2 tablespoons rum and 3 tablespoons sugar in a small saucepan; cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until sugar dissolves.
- Brush over warm muffins.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
These had a wonderful taste, but I feel that the butter should be sweet and unsalted. The taste had hints of too much salt at times, so I feel that the salted butter I had used was too much for the recipe. The dough was a tender one; the rum flavor could have been a little stronger... maybe use the five tablespoons in the muffin. I would definitely double the sugar and rum that you use for the topping. I made the topping twice, as there was not enough for the first batch to go around. This is an excellent recipe. I will add chopped pecans in mine the next time I make it, and I will make it again (and again)!
These muffins are sooo good. I'm obsessed. I just ate 6 and now there are hardly any left for my family :) Whoops! I would use all of the rum/dissolved sugar mixture until it's gone. It makes a hard little glaze on top of the muffins that makes them that much more unique. I love every NurseDi recipe I have ever tried and I look forward to more.
see 1 more reviews