A mild burrito you can enjoy alone or add fresh salsa for some zing.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup long grain rice
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano (or fresh)
- 1 (7 ounce) can tomatoes with juice
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 1 1/4 cups grated monterey jack cheese or 1 1/4 cups mild cheddar cheese
- 4 tablespoons sour cream (optional)
- 8 10 inch fresh wheat flour tortillas
- fresh oregano, to garnish (optional)
- 1Bring a saucepan of lightly salted water to the boil.
- 2Add the rice and cook for 8 minutes.
- 3Drain, rinse and then drain again.
- 4Heat the oil in a large saucepan, add the onion with the ground cloves and oregano, fry for 2 to 3 minutes.
- 5Stir in the rice and tomatoes and cook over a low heat until all the tomato juice has been absorbed, set the pan aside.
- 6Put the chicken breasts in a large saucepan, pour in enough water to cover and bring to the boil.
- 7Lower the heat and simmer for about 10 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
- 8Lift the chicken out of the pan, put on a plate and cool slightly.
- 9Preheat the oven to 325f degrees (gas3).
- 10Shred the chicken by pulling the flesh apart with two forks, then add the chicken to the rice mixture, with the grated cheese.
- 11Stir in the sour cream, if using.
- 12Wrap the tortillas in foil and place them on a plate.
- 13Stand the plate over boiling water for about 5 minutes.
- 14Alternately, wrap in microwave safe film and heat in a microwave on full power for 1 minute.
- 15Spoon 1/8 of the filling into the centre of a tortilla and fold in both sides.
- 16Fold the bottom up and the top down to form a parcel.
- 17Secure with a toothpick.
- 18Put the filled burrito in a shallow dish or casserole, cover with foil and keep warm in the oven while you make seven more.
- 19Remove toothpicks before serving, sprinkled with fresh oregano.
- 20Serve with fresh salsa.
Browse Our Top Sauces Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Burritos with Chicken and Rice
Serving Size: 1 (135 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 524.3
- Calories from Fat 178
- Total Fat 19.8 g
- Saturated Fat 8.5 g
- Cholesterol 65.6 mg
- Sodium 719.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 55.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.4 g
- Sugars 4.4 g
- Protein 29.5 g