Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 25 mins
A mild burrito you can enjoy alone or add fresh salsa for some zing.
Make and share this Burritos with Chicken and Rice recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄2 cup long grain rice
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano (or fresh)
- 1 (7 ounce) can tomatoes with juice
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 1 1⁄4 cups grated monterey jack cheese or 1 1⁄4 cups mild cheddar cheese
- 4 tablespoons sour cream (optional)
- 8 10 inch fresh wheat flour tortillas
- fresh oregano, to garnish (optional)
- Bring a saucepan of lightly salted water to the boil.
- Add the rice and cook for 8 minutes.
- Drain, rinse and then drain again.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan, add the onion with the ground cloves and oregano, fry for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Stir in the rice and tomatoes and cook over a low heat until all the tomato juice has been absorbed, set the pan aside.
- Put the chicken breasts in a large saucepan, pour in enough water to cover and bring to the boil.
- Lower the heat and simmer for about 10 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Lift the chicken out of the pan, put on a plate and cool slightly.
- Preheat the oven to 325f degrees (gas3).
- Shred the chicken by pulling the flesh apart with two forks, then add the chicken to the rice mixture, with the grated cheese.
- Stir in the sour cream, if using.
- Wrap the tortillas in foil and place them on a plate.
- Stand the plate over boiling water for about 5 minutes.
- Alternately, wrap in microwave safe film and heat in a microwave on full power for 1 minute.
- Spoon 1/8 of the filling into the centre of a tortilla and fold in both sides.
- Fold the bottom up and the top down to form a parcel.
- Secure with a toothpick.
- Put the filled burrito in a shallow dish or casserole, cover with foil and keep warm in the oven while you make seven more.
- Remove toothpicks before serving, sprinkled with fresh oregano.
- Serve with fresh salsa.
Delicious! Great easy recipe for burritos. I followed it exactly except we assembled the burritos at the dinner table, that way everyone fixed their burrito the way they liked it. My ds had 4. This will definitely be a keeper recipe in our house. Thanks, Dorothy for sharing this recipe.
Delicious! Thank you! Different and easy!
I sprinkled some cumin in the rice mix and didn't add the cloves. They were really good!