Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
The almonds are toasted in a crisp toffee coating and are irresistible. They make a terrific gift and if you can resist eating them they keep "forever" in an air tight container. Cooking & work times are just an estimate. I find I have to stand at the stove stirring them for about 10-15 minutes.
- Combine all ingredients in a large heavy based frying pan.
- Stir over a high heat and keep stirring until eventually the water is absorbed and the almonds are coated in white sugar.
- It is important to keep stirring and gradually the sugar caramelizes, turning to toffee, hence the "burnt" almonds. If you leave them on the heat after this they really will be burnt.
- As soon as all of the sugar has turned to toffee, tip them out onto a large sheet of baking paper (silicon coated paper) laid out on your kitchen bench. It is useful to have a helper at this stage to help spread them out a bit. This makes them easier to snap apart later.
- When cool, break them apart and store in an airtight container.