Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
From the secret vault of "MR. SAUCE". Once again, this is the real deal folks. Not just a close copy. This BBQ Sauce is very likely the best ever made. The posting of this recipe is due entirely to the relentless insistence of my "Guinea-Pig Club". Those fearless, unsung heros with no regard for personal gastronomic safety. I love you guys. This one's for you..
- 1 cup water
- 3⁄4 cup corn syrup
- 1⁄2 cup tomato paste
- 1⁄3 cup dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons blackstrap molasses
- 1 teaspoon pickling salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 2⁄3 cup white vinegar
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons hickory liquid smoke
- In a large pot, combine water, corn syrup, tomato paste, brown sugar, molasses, salt, onion powder, garlic powder, black pepper, ground mustard, paprika, and cayenne pepper. Whisk until combined and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook uncovered for 15-20 minutes.
- Add vinegar, stir to mix and return to a simmer. Cook uncovered for another 15-20 minutes or until thick. Stir frequently to avoid burning.
- Add liquid smoke and whisk to combine thoroughly.
- Ladle hot mixture into hot, sterilized, sealable bottles and seal. Allow bottles to cool.
- Store in cupboard. Keeps 24 months or more.
- Refridgerate after opening.
- Remember to follow the instructions. Timing of added ingredients does make a difference.
- Single batch makes 500ml.
It tasted exactly like Bulls Eye BBQ Sauce...but this recipe didn't thicken up as much as I would have hoped it would. (I even added a bit more corn syrup) Sorry, but there are other bbq sauces to explore before I would come back to this one!!
Mr. Sauce, Occasionally my DH will "christen" certain recipes as the family default recipe. Congratulations, you have made the cut. This is a goo, tasty barbecue sauce. We made the sauce and let it settle over night. Last night we used it on some pork ribs and we were delighted with outcome. I followed your instructions to the letter and I do agree with you that the times should be adhered to. Thanks for another great one. T3