Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
Adapted from Better Homes and Gardens, Oct. 2007. Use Mock Feta Cheese ( Vegan Substitute ) to make this vegan.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 (14 ounce) can vegetable broth
- 1 cup apple juice
- 1⁄2 cup wild rice, rinsed
- 2 cups shiitake mushrooms or 2 cups cremini mushrooms or 2 cups button mushrooms, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup bulgur
- 1 medium red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1⁄2 cup fresh Italian parsley, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup walnuts, toasted and chopped
- cracked black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- In saucepan, cook onion in hot oil about 5 minutes until tender.
- Add broth, apple juice and wild rice. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, 30 minutes.
- Stir in mushrooms and bulgur. Cook, covered, 10 to 15 minutes or until grains are tender and most of the liquid is absorbed.
- Stir in bell pepper; remove from heat. Cover and let stand 5 minutes.
- Stir in parsley and walnuts. Season to taste with cracked black pepper. Sprinkle with feta.
Yet another fantastic recipe from Serah! This had such amazing flavours and textures. This one will definately be a regular recipe around here! I used cilantro in place of the parsley, had homemade veggie stock to use up so used that in place of the apple juice and canned stock, and used a combination of mushrooms. So GOOD! Made for PAC Spring '09.
Really tasty! Have also subbed with brown rice and chicken stock and added some garlic and thyme - also very tasty - I think the apple juice adds a new level. Thanks for a keeper :)