Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
A quick whole-grain side dish. The bulghur will be slightly al dente; if you prefer it softer, add 1/4 c. more liquid and cook an extra 5 minutes. From "Diabetes Cooking for Everyone", by Carol Gelles. Exchanges: 1/2 bread, 3/4 vegetable, 1/4 fat.
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 3⁄4 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chicken broth (or vegetable broth)
- 1⁄2 cup medium bulgur
- 1 cup peas (fresh or frozen)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1⁄4 tsp.ground black pepper
- In a 2-qt. nonstick saucepan, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the peppers and onion and cook, stirring, until slightly softened, about 2 minutes.
- Add the broth and bring to a boil. Add the remaining ingredients and return to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, covered 15 minutes, or until all the liquid has been absorbed.
You just cannot go wrong with bulgur! I served this as my entire lunch by itself. I will be making this often. I like to use bulgur in place of rice and it is much quicker and easier to cook as well as having protein in it as well.