1/4 Photos of Buffalo Meatloaf With Brown Sugar and Ketchup Glaze
1 hr 35 mins
1 hr 15 mins
This is a lean meatloaf recipe for those of us who can't eat onions. Adapted from a meatloaf recipe found in Cook' Illustrated Cookbook. This is a family favorite!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
Brown Sugar ketchup Glaze
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 3/4 cup diced celery
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 extra large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon red hot pepper sauce
- 1/2 cup whole milk or 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 1 lb jimmy dean low-fat sausage
- 1 lb ground buffalo meat
- 2/3 cup crushed saltine crackers
- 1/3 cup minced fresh parsley
- 6 -8 ounces thin sliced bacon
- 1For the Glaze: Mix all ingredients in small saucepan and set aside.
- 2For the meat loaf: Heat oven to 350°. Heat oil in medium skillet; add celery and garlic. Saute until softened, about 5 minutes. Set aside while preparing main ingredients.
- 3Mix eggs with thyme, salt, pepper, mustard, worcestershire sauce, pepper sauce, and milk or yogurt. Add egg mixture to meat in large bowl along with crackers, parsley and cooked celery and garlic. Mix with fork until evenly blended and meat mixture does not stick to bowl. (If mixture sticks, add more yogurt or milk, a couple of tablespoons at a time, until mixture no longer sticks.).
- 4Turn meat mixture onto waxed paper. With wet hands, shape into loaf and place in meatloaf pan or shallow pan. Brush with half the glaze and arrange bacon slices on top.
- 5Bake loaf until bacon is crisp and internal temperature of loaf registers 160 degrees, about 1 hour 15 minutes. Take out of oven and let rest under foil for 20 minutes. Simmer remaining glaze over medium heat until thickened slightly. Slice meat loaf and serve with extra glaze passed separately.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Buffalo Meatloaf With Brown Sugar and Ketchup Glaze
Serving Size: 1 (102 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 177.1
- Calories from Fat 85
- Total Fat 9.4 g
- Saturated Fat 2.9 g
- Cholesterol 68.9 mg
- Sodium 531.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 11.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.3 g
- Sugars 7.5 g
- Protein 11.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: