Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
Oh My Goodness! My husband and I love anything Buffalo, and this is SO good. I've made it twice in the last two weeks! The first time I made this "soup" it was really thick, so the next time I made it we tore up some crusty French bread and dipped. I'm taking this to the next Super Bowl party, for sure!
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 3⁄4 cup chicken broth
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- beer, to taste
- 2 cups diced cooked chicken
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup buffalo wing sauce, to taste
- 4 ounces Velveeta cheese, cubed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon celery salt
- In 2-qt saucepan over medium-high heat, saute onions and celery in butter until tender.
- Stir flour into pan; slowly whisk in milk, broth, and beer (optional). Add more or less liquid depending on how thick you want it.
- Stir in remaining ingredients and simmer over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until cheese melts. For the buffalo wing sauce, I use 1/2 jar of Hooter's sauce (from the grocery store) but you can use whatever you prefer.
- Serve with celery sticks & Ranch or Bleu Cheese dressing on the side, and crusty bread for dipping. Can also be served thick out of a bread bowl.
Made this for dinner last night. It was WONDERFUL! I did make a few alterations for the family but don't think it changed the outcome to much. First off I omitted the beer. I then doubled the chicken broth to make it in soup form. I used just over 1/4 cup wing sauce then put the bottle at the table so others could adjust the amount of spice to their taste. Also subbed grated cheddar for the Velveeta as we don't consider it cheese at our house. The final change I made was to omit the flour since DH can't have gluten. Instead I made a slurry of corn starch and water and added it to the soup near the end when it was boiling. We topped the soup with some blue cheese dressing and it was enjoyed by all. Thanks for posting this recipe. It will be made often. (I think I will try it as a dip for tortilla chips next time)
I left out the celery since I don't like it, but other than that followed the recipe. I served it with french bread rolls. Everyone loved it. The following day I served the leftovers over rice and again got rave reviews. I will definitely be making this again. Thanks so much for a great recipe.
This is such a great soup! I make soup every week in the fall and winter for a houseful of people--everyone raved about this. I doubled the recipe, but tripled the amount of chicken broth. I also added about 8 ounces of beer. This deserves five stars for both taste and ease of preparation--how many soups can be prepared in 30 minutes?? Thanks for a great recipe EmmyLynn!