Prep 5 mins
Cook 55 mins
Any strong beer could be used, but I prefer Bud. Cooking is a Creative Sport
- 1⁄2 cup uncooked wild rice
- 12 ounces Budweiser beer or 12 ounces another good lager beer
- 1⁄2 cup mushroom (chopped)
- 1⁄2 cup onion (diced)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup Italian sausage
- Add the Budweiser to the Wild Rice in a 1 quart sauce pan, bring to a quick boil, cover and lower the heat to the minimum.
- Simmer for 45 minutes or until the rice is tender.
- Add the Olive Oil to a hot frying pan, and brown the Sausage.
- When it is nearly cooked, add the Onions and Mushrooms and continue to cook until the Onions are transparent.
- Pour the Wild Rice into the pan, followed by the Black Pepper and stir.
I love to cook with beer and this recipe was perfect for that. I added more pepper to fit my taste and it was a great side dish with a steak.
I made this dish for my husband as the ingredients sounded like his kind of dish. I used 1/4 cup wild rice and 1/4 cup brown as I wasn't sure if he'd like 100% wild. He really enjoyed the medley of flavors of the beer, sausage and vegetables but wasn't crazy about the wild rice. This surprised us since he does like the long grain & wild rice dishes that he gets in restaraunts. He wasn't sure if it was the brand or the quality of what I had that made him find the flavor overwhelming or maybe the amount. He felt it was a good recipe and could see how someone who really likes wild rice would like it but he wants me to use all brown rice next time for him. Thanks Bill for such a creative dish!