Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
I love Brussels sprouts almost as much as I do cabbage and this is the BEST recipe I have ever had. I love this one. It is really yummy.
- 1 quart Brussels sprout
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup hot tomato juice
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup grated American cheese
- Cook sprouts in boiling salted water for 15 minutes or till tender.
- Blend butter, flour and salt in top of double boiler. Stir in tomato juice. Stirring constantly, blend in the milk.
- Cook, stirring constantly, until thick.
- Place sprouts in a greased casserole dish. Cover with sauce and sprinkle with the cheese.
- Brown in oven at 350 degrees for 15 minutes.
Very good and different way to serve brussels sprouts. I added some chopped onion and sauteed it in the butter before proceding with the flour. I think parmesan cheese would be great on top.....I'll have to try that. Thanx for posting this; I'll make it again.
DH absolutely loved this one and wants me to make it again. I, on the other hand (as well as the two others who tried it) didn't care for it at all...and I'm a brussel sprouts lover. It turned out tasting very much like brussel sprouts in tomato soup, which probably explains both DH's and my reactions. I will make this again, but reduce the recipe to make only enough for DH in the future. Thank you for sharing your recipe Darlene!