Prep 5 mins
Cook 6 hrs
So good on a chilly evening, served with homemade cornbread. I usually make this in the crockpot, but you can make it on the stove too. I've also added hominy to this and it's a terrific addition. In a pinch you can use canned chicken too.
- 2 cups cooked chicken, shredded
- 2 large potatoes, peeled and diced
- 3 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 2 (14 3/4 ounce) cans creamed corn
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon Mrs. Dash table blend seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- Add the prepared vegetables, spices & herbs to the crock pot.
- Pour all the remaining ingredients into the pot (no need to drain anything).
- Mix lightly and cover.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours (crockpot) or bring to a boil then lower heat to a simmer and cook for 45 minutes, or until the vegetables are done.
- If stew is too thin, thicken by adding 2 T of instant mashed potatoes, then cook an additional five minutes.