Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
A favorite casserole that my family has been making for years
Make and share this Brunch Casserole recipe from Food.com.
- 8 slices whole wheat bread
- 3⁄4 cup melted butter
- 2 cups chopped cooked ham
- 2 cups chopped cooked broccoli
- 2 cups cheddar cheese
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- Cube bread and toss with melted butter.
- In a greased 9 X 13 casserole dish add half the bread cubes, half of the cheese, half of the broccoli, all of the ham.
- Next add the rest of the broccoli, cheese, and bread cubes.
- Beat eggs and milk together with salt and pepper then pour over casserole.
- Refrigerate for 2 hours or over night.
- Bake at 350°F for 1 hour.
I know a recipe is good when I daydream about it the next day and wonder how long I have to wait before I can do it again. I added a little garlic powder, but I imagine this is very versatile and it would be easy to switch out whatever protein and veggie you had on hand.
My family really liked this recipe and my husband said it was a nice change from the typical breakfast casserole. I laughed and agreed saying "Yes, it's not BLAND"! I halfed the recipe and didn't realize until I had it all prepared that it needed to sit in the fridge for 2 hours or overnight so I just let it sit for maybe 20 min on the counter and baked for 45 minutes.
This is awesome! I cut the butter down to 1/2 cup and it was still wonderful. I added a little bit of onions. I loved that it's not too "eggy." Word of advice....You have to put this out on the table right away or you're going to find yourself plucking off all of those crispy, buttery bread cubes and popping them in your mouth! ;) Who can resist that topping? This is great for brunch or supper. Thanx for a great new recipe!