Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
Delicious on banana cake, pumpkin cake, carrot cake or cinnamon rolls. You may, also, add 1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon.
- 3⁄4 cup butter, divided divided (1 1/2 stick)
- 8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract or 1 vanilla bean, split and scraped
- 3 1⁄2-4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 -3 tablespoon heavy cream (optional)
- In a small saucepan, over medium heat, cook 1/2 cup butter (1 stick) until browned and nutty fragranced. Watch carefully, stir occasionally and do not let burn. This should take about 15-20 minutes.
- Cube the other 1/4 cup of butter (1/2 stick) and place in a mixing bowl with softened cream cheese. Pour browned butter over top and allow to sit for about 3 minutes. Add the vanilla extract or vanilla bean seeds. With an electric mixer, beat until the butter and cream cheese are smooth. Gradually add the confectioners' sugar until the proper consistency is reached. (To avoid lumps, shake/sift sugar through a sieve.) Add 1-3 tablespoon heavy cream, if needed, to thin to a spreading consistency.
- If the frosting is too soft for decorating, refrigerate for about half an hour before using.
This is a delicious frosting! This recipe makes a lot of frosting. I used only half of it for a 10 inch bundt cake. Bourbon can be added without over powering the delicate browned butter flavor. I used 2 T. bourbon for this recipe. I will freeze half of the frosting and will have it handy for the next cake. You can also brown all of the butter. I cool the butter before adding to the cream cheese. A very nice flavor!