Prep 45 mins
Cook 55 mins
Brown sugar adds a caramel taste to the pie.
Make and share this Brown Sugar Apple Pie recipe from Food.com.
- double crust pie crust
- 6 cups peeled cored, thinly sliced apples (Golden Delicious, Gala, Northern Spy)
- 1⁄2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- salt (a big pinch)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- milk or light cream
- granulated sugar
- Roll out bottom pie pastry on a lightly floured sheet of waxed paper and place in 9-inch standard pie pan; place in refrigerator for 15 minutes.
- In a big bowl, combine apples, brown sugar, lemon juice, and salt; toss well then set aside for 15 minutes.
- In a small bowl, mix the sugar and cornstarch together; stir this mixture into the apples along with the cinnamon.
- Transfer filling into the chilled pie shell; smooth the top with your hands.
- Roll out top pie pastry into a 10-inch circle on a sheet of lightly floured waxed paper.
- Moisten the edge of the pie shell with a pastry brush.
- Invert the top pastry over the filling, center, and peel off the paper.
- Press the top and bottom pastries together along the dampened edge.
- Trim the pastry and crimp or flute edges as desired.
- Using a fork, poke several steam vents in the top, including a couple along the edge so you can check the juices there later.
- Brush the top with a little milk and sprinkle with sugar.
- Put pie in 400° oven on center rack; bake for 30 minutes.
- Lower heat to 375° and rotate pie 180° (also slide a large foil-lined baking sheet onto the rack below to catch any drips).
- Bake about 25 more minutes or until golden brown.
- When done, there should be thick juices bubbling out of the steam vents along the edge.
- Place pie on a wire rack and let cool at least 2 hours, preferably longer, before serving.
This was a very easy and simple recipe to put together. Will make again. Thanks for posting.