Crumbly Apple Pie
The buttery brown sugar topping is a great variation on this classic apple pie! Best of all, the steam from the baking apples isn't held in by a top crust...apples are tender, not mushy and bottom crust isn't soggy!
- Ready In:
- 1hr 25mins
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup chilled Crisco
- 1⁄4 cup ice water
- 7 medium granny smith apples, peeled,cored and very thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄3 cup chilled butter, cut into pieces
- To prepare crust, in a medium bowl, whisk together flour and salt.
- Using a pastry blender, cut shortening into flour mixture until it resembles coarse crumbs.
- Add water, 1 tablespoon at a time, tossing with a fork, until a dough forms.
- Shape into a disc, wrap in plastic wrap and chill for 30 minutes.
- Place oven rack in lowest position.
- Preheat oven to 400F degrees.
- On a floured surface, roll dough into a 12 inch circle.
- Fit into a 9 inch pie pan, Trim excess dough, leaving a 1 inch overhang.
- Make a decorative edge.
- To prepare filling, mix together all ingredients.
- Spoon into crust.
- To prepare topping, in a small bowl, mix together brown sugar, flour and nutmeg.
- Using a pastry blender, cut butter into brown sugar mixture until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Sprinkle evenly over apples.
- Bake pie until topping is lightly browned and filling is bubbly, approximately 35 minutes.
- If pie is getting too brown, cover loosely with tin foil.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
Wow, I can't believe I forgot to review this! This pie is fantastic, I've never made a pie and was able to follow these directiond very well. My friends were uber impressed that I have made the crust and YUM!! The crust is easy, the apples the perfect amount of sweet and tender and the crumbles are awesome. It looked like too much tome when I piled it on the pie but baked down to a great crunchy sweet top layer!Reply
see 12 more