Recipe by IngridH
From The Ultimate Rice Cooker Cookbook. You may use short, medium, or long grain brown rice in this dish. The authors call for a 6 cup rice cooker, but I've had no problem using a 3 cup model. Cook time includes resting time after the cycle finishes.
Top Review by magpie diner
I like the idea of this recipe very much and plan to play around with the quantities a bit next time. The miso and ginger flavours didn't come through as much as I hoped they would. And i think using broth is a must. Still a nice change from plain rice. Mine happened to burn a bit on the bottom, most likely the fault of my rice cooker and not the recipe, altho normally I have no problems...so I'm wondering if the miso may have caused that.
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons miso (white or yellow)
- 2 1⁄4 cups water or 2 1⁄4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 inch fresh gingerroot, peeled
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 cup brown rice
Directions See How It's Made
- Dissolve the miso in 1/4 cup of the water.
- Combine the dissolved miso and remaining ingredients in the rice cooker bowl.
- Set the machine for the regular or brown rice (if you have one) cycle.
- When the machine switches to 'keep warm', set a timer for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, fluff the rice with the plastic paddle or a wooden spoon.
- Discard the ginger and serve, or leave on the 'keep warm' setting for up to 2 hours.