Prep 20 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This is my sister's recipe. She makes them every year for christmas and shapes them in all sizes of trees then stacks them for a beautiful Christmas tree arrangements. Beautiful and delicious.
- Cream sugar and butter. Mix in egg and flavorings.
- Blend dry ingredients and stir into creamed mixture.
- Refrigerate 2 or 3 hours.
- Heat oven to 375*.
- Divide dough in half and roll out on lightly floured board 1/4 inch thickness. Cut into shapes. Sprinkle with plain or colored sugar -- or use the Royal Icing recipe below. Place on lightly greased baking sheet. Bake 7 to 8 minutes or until golden brown. Makes 5 dozen 2 to 2 1/2 inch cookies.
- ROYAL ICING.
- In a microwave-safe bowl (I use a pyrex measuring cup) stir together until combined:.
- 2 large egg whites.
- 1 1/3 cups powdered sugar.
- Microwave on high 1 1/2 to 2 min until mixture is bubbly or it reaches 160°F
- Then add mixture to another 1 1/3 cups of powdered sugar and beat with an electric mixer at high speed (adding food coloring if desired while still runny) until the icing is cool and stiff peaks form when the beatersa re lifted out of the bowl.
- Keep a damp dishtowel over the bowl as you're working so it doesn't dry out -- and of you feel its getting too stiff, add a little water and stir or beat again -- its super easy to work with (I usually do mine with it the consistency of paint so it dries smooth on top) HAVE FUN!
These are delicious cookies. Nice and crispy and sweet. I wasn't very pleased with the icing though. It turned out lumpy. But overall the cookies were great.
These are very good cookies. I rolled the dough to 1/8 inch which is a bit thinner than stated, but worked out well. Didn't frost any but will next time. Thanks for the recipe.