CHEF GRPA's Note:
Fresh, ripe tomatoes are marinated in olive oil and balsamic vinegar, then broiled with Parmesan cheese on toast. Serve warm with a bowl of soup, if desired. This takes a plain 'ol tomato sandwich to a whole new level with a nice Italian twist! I toasted some thick slices of Italian bread and added a bit of salt to the tomatoes. I decreased the amount of herbs in the mayo mixture a bit to taste. I also added some fresh basil over top of the tomatoes and a bit of mozzarella cheese along with the Parmesan. The balsamic marinade on the tomatoes really adds a nice tang to the sandwich.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 11. Preheat oven to broil.
- 22. In a shallow bowl, whisk together the olive oil and vinegar. Marinate the tomatoes in the mixture, stirring occasionally.
- 33. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine mayonnaise, parsley, oregano, black pepper and 4 teaspoons Parmesan cheese. Spread mixture on each slice of toasted bread. Place marinated tomatoes on 2 slices and sprinkle with remaining Parmesan cheese.
- 44. Place on a baking sheet and broil for 5 minutes, or until cheese turns golden brown. Serve immediately, open faced or closed.
- 5My Note: I made it in August when tomatos are at their peak flavor, but I can see making it in the winter with fresh plum tomato. Also because it was summer I added fresh chopped herbs to the mayo mixture, parsley, rosemary and basil. As it was a poolside lunch, I put the prepared sandwiches on a foil lined, thick cookie sheet and put it on the grill and closd the lid for about 5 minutes. But broiling would give it a bubbly top. Also, THICK DENSE bread is a MUST! And remember to toast the bread first. My grandaughter the vegetarian even asked for the recipe. She marinated thinly sliced red onion along with the tomatoes, used a little less of the Parmesan, and added a thin slice of Swiss cheese. Also, since her husband loves BLT's, added a few pre-cooked slices of bacon to his before adding the tomato/onion topping and the cheese -- he loved it!
- 6I loved the fresh taste. A good quality, dense bread is a must. Next time I play with my food I will try a mixture of tomatoes and roasted red peppers.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Broiled Tomato Sandwich
Serving Size: 1 (355 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 430.4
- Calories from Fat 226
- Total Fat 25.1 g
- Saturated Fat 4.6 g
- Cholesterol 12.3 mg
- Sodium 543.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 43.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.3 g
- Sugars 12.5 g
- Protein 9.2 g