Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
This recipe originally came from an old Milk Calendar. I may have changed it a bit over the years. It's creamy without having to add extra fat and each person can add as much or as little of the shredded cheese as they like.
- 1 bunch broccoli
- 4 medium boiling potatoes
- 1 onion
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 1⁄3 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- Peel and chop potatoes and onions. Remove broccoli stalks from florets; peel and chop; set florets aside.
- Bring broth to boil in a large pot. Add potatoes, onion and broccoli stalks, bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer 20 minute Add florets and simmer 5 min more.
- Add orange rind, thyme, salt and pepper. Blend in batches with the milk. Reheat slightly before serving. Pour into bowls and sprinkle with 1/3 cup cheese for each bowl.
When we started to eat this, we thought it was missing something, but since we almost finished the whole pot-full in one sitting, I guess it was spot on after all. I used 2 cups frozen broccoli and did add some leftover Ragu Double Cheddar sauce to the pot, and then added the sharp cheddar to each bowl. Thank you for sharing! Made this for Spring PAC 09.