Prep 40 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is a delicious and colorful salad from my aunt. It is a hit at any function and I am always asked for the recipe!
- 4 cups broccoli florets
- 1⁄2 cup raisins (I use golden raisins)
- 6 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 2 cups fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- 1 (11 ounce) can mandarin oranges
- 1⁄4 medium red onion, sliced into thin rings
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄4 cup white vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- Mix all salad ingredients in a large bowl, set aside.
- Beat eggs and set aside.
- Mix sugar, corn starch, mustard, vinegar, and water in a sauce pan on medium heat.
- Stir in eggs and cook on low heat until thick.
- Add butter and mayonnaise, whisk until smooth.
- Let cool and refrigerate until chilled.
- Toss salad and dressing together just before serving.
We loved the flavor of this recipe even though I made a goof while preparing. The colors are so pretty and would be nice on a holiday buffet or potluck. I also enjoyed the sweet/ tart / savory contrasts in the salad. We couldn't stop eating this and I will definitely be trying it again. I was interested in the cooked dressing of the recipe & followed the directions carefully. It was VERY thick. Thick like paste, instead of a creamy or pourable consistency I was expecting. I proceeded and the result was almost moldable after adding to the vegetables, but the salad was crunchy and tasted great. Just thicker than expected. Now that I am writing the review I notice I left out the water. (oops) I will add it next time & may even reduce the cornstarch a bit. Thank you for sharing your recipe! Made for Fall 08 Pick A Chef.