Recipe by AbbaGav
A simple quiche from a friend. Crust from "The Vegetarian Feast" by Martha Rose Shulman. Note that the crust part of the recipe can make 2 crusts, or combined to make one larger crust. You can add more broccoli and a little more of the filling-ingredients to fill the crust(s) up more.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 heads broccoli
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup pizza cheese or 1 cup cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper
- garlic powder
- onion powder or onion soup mix
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1⁄2 cup unbleached white flour
- 1⁄2 cup wheat germ
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 115 g butter
- 3 -4 tablespoons cold water
Directions See How It's Made
- To prepare the crust combine the flours, wheat germ and salt in a large bowl. Cut in the butter and roll briskly between the palms to make sure butter is evenly distributed.
- Add the water a tablespoon at a time and blend with a fork until you can gather the dough into a mass. Divide into 2 balls.
- Place a ball of dough on a piece of lightly floured waxed paper. Press it down with your hand and place another piece of lightly floured paper on top. Roll the dough out with a rolling pin; peel off the top paper, turn the crust into a buttered pie plate, and then peel off the other paper.
- Press the dough into the pie pan and pinch a pretty scalloped edge around the rim. Repeat with the other ball of dough.
- Refrigerate both crusts for 2 hours.
- Saute broccoli in a little bit of oil with salt, garlic powder, onion powder and pepper.
- Mix 3 eggs with 1 cup of milk.
- Line the bottom of the pie crust(s) with a mixture of the cheeses.
- Cover the cheese with the sauteed broccoli.
- Pour the egg and milk mixture on top of broccoli.
- Sprinkle paprika on top of the quiche.
- Bake for 45 minutes at 170°C.