Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
A tastey little chowder, great on a cold day
- 1 lb fresh broccoli
- 8 ounces fresh mushrooms
- 8 ounces butter
- 1 cup flour
- 1 quart chicken stock
- 1 quart half-and-half
- 1 teaspoon sage
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed tarragon
- Clean and cut broccoli into 1/2 inch pieces.
- Steam in 1/2 cup water.
- Do not drain; set aside.
- wash and slice mushrooms.
- Melt butter in saucepan over medium heat.
- Add flour, cook 2 to 4 minutes.
- Add chicken stock, stirring with wire whip and bring to boil.
- Turn heat to low.
- Add broccoli, half and half and spices.
- Heat, but do not boil.
This was DELICIOUS, which isn’t surprising with 2 sticks of butter in it! I used whole milk instead of half and half and added 1 lb cooked bacon (ham would work equally well.)