Recipe by loof
A rich and delicious side dish, great for the holidays or anytime. Added note: if you are using regular table salt instead of kosher salt please use half as much...
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole milk
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 pinch ground nutmeg
- ground black pepper
- 8 cups broccoli florets
- 1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 cup fresh breadcrumb
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Use 1 tablespoon butter to butter a 9x9 or 9x13 baking dish.
- Steam broccoli until crisp-tender, about 5 minutes.
- Melt 3 tablespoons of the butter in a medium saucepan. Whisk in the flour until smooth. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Add the milk, salt, and nutmeg and bring to a boil while stirring constantly. Lower heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the white sauce is thickened, about 10 minutes. Season with pepper.
- Put the broccoli in the prepared baking dish. Sprinkle with half of the cheese and pour on the white sauce. Cover with the remaining cheese.
- Melt the remaining 1 tablespoon butter in a small skillet. Add the bread crumbs and cook, stirring, until lightly browned.
- Cover the gratin with the breadcrumbs. Bake at 450 for about 20 minutes, or until lightly browned and bubbly.