Low-Carb Broccoli Gratin
I enjoyed this comforting dish with a baked chicken breast and a salad but it would also be good with some nice bread.
- Ready In:
- 1 cup broccoli floret
- 1 sweet pepper, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 eggs
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 slice thick bread
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Put broccoli and pepper into a saucepan, add 3/4 cup water and most of butter.
- Simmer for 5 minutes or until broccoli is just tender.
- Use remaining butter to grease a casserole dish.
- Whisk the eggs and milk in the casserole dish and mix in 3/4 of the cheese.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Stir in broccoli and peppers with 1 spoonful of its cooking juice.
- Blitz the bread to make crumbs and then mix crumbs with remaining cheese.
- Sprinkle over the top.
- Bake for around 20 minutes or until the dish has set and the top is golden.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
UPDATE: I've made this twice now and realized that it's better to use a smaller, deeper dish, and to bake it longer. I ended up doing about 35-40 minutes. It got much creamier and more like a gratin by cooking it that way. Original Review: I used Panko as well, 1/2 cup. It was good. Kind of like a breakfast casserole more than a gratin though.2Reply
see 24 more