Recipe by faith58
I got this out of a Mayberry book years ago and it never lasts long, one of the best broccoli cheese soups that I have found..
Top Review by Thunder Bay Laura
I think this soup is too cheesy as others have mentioned - it is missing the broccoli flavour that makes this soup good. That said, I think it is a good recipe after some modification. Next time, I plan to use half of a chopped onion (instead of the dried flakes) - I will sautee the onion in the pot before adding the broth. I will also cut back on the cheese...maybe only using half a pound or 3/4 of a pound. And, in place of the cream of chicken soup, I will use cream of broccoli.
- 1 cup water
- 1 chicken bouillon cube
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped broccoli
- 1 medium carrot, grated
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 lb Velveeta cheese
- 1 (10 ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 1 tablespoon minced onion flakes
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In a saucepan bring the water and bouillon cube to a boil. Add the broccoli and carrot. Cook according to the broccoli package directions and remove from heat.Do Not Drain.
- In a separate saucepan, melt the butter and slowly stir in the flour. Continue stirring while gradually adding the milk. Stir in the cheese, soup, onion, Worcestershire sauce, salt, and pepper. Add the broccoli mixture to the white sauce mixture and cook over medium to low heat until the soup is the desired thickness. Enjoy!