Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
I got the base of this recipe from my mom. I use Organic Vegetable Broth instead of Chicken broth just because I love the combination of flavors and natural spiciness. I also added the extra veggies which makes it a bit heartier. I also added the cheddar which thickens it and lets face it, just makes it a yummy comfort food.
- 1⁄2 lb broccoli, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed then minced
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 tablespoons unbleached flour
- 1 cup low-fat milk
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green onion (to garnish)
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese
- salt & pepper
- In a medium saucepot over med. high heat, place broth, broccoli, onion, celery & garlic. Bring to a boil, then lower heat & simmer 3 minutes. Take off heat & cover.
- In a ceramic coated Dutch oven melt butter over low heat. When melted, add flour & turn up heat to med.- high. Cook, stirring constantly till roux is bubbly and a golden brown color. Add broth mixture all at once while whisking. Keep whisking or stirring constantly until soup is bubbly and thickened about 3 minutes.
- Take off heat & add grated cheese, stir in till melted. Ladel into bowls and sprinkle with salt & pepper and garnish with green onions.
I really enjoyed this easy to make soup! I used rice milk, scaled it down for 2. Thanks for a delicious soup!