Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a fabulous soup recipe, for anytime of the year, but especially fall and winter. Its especially hearty and makes a great meal by itself. This makes a large amount to feed a big group or family. Everyone will rave, I promise! For picky eaters, process the broccoli into tiny pieces and it won't be the focus of the soup. Or if you're a broccoli lover leave the pieces larger.
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 2 cups milk
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes
- 49 1⁄2 ounces canned chicken broth
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can condensed cheddar cheese soup
- 16 ounces Velveeta cheese, cubed
- 1 large onion, chopped and minced finely
- 3 cooked boneless skinless chicken breasts (shredded or diced)
- 12 ounces fresh sliced mushrooms, cleaned
- 16 ounces frozen chopped broccoli
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1 lb marbled cheddar and swiss cheese, grated
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt or 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 3 pinches dried tarragon
- 2 pinches dried basil
- 3 dashes Worcestershire sauce
- white pepper
- Finely chop one large onion, by hand or in mini chopper food processor.
- In large stockpot melt one stick of butter or margarine.
- Sauté onion until tender.
- Sift 1/2 cup flour over butter/onion mixture and whisk to form a paste.
- Let paste cook and slightly darken but do not burn.
- About 6-8 minutes.
- Slowly whisk in two cups milk.
- Add two chicken bullion cubes and white pepper and allow to thicken a couple of minutes while whisking to get out lumps.
- Slowly whisk in one large can 49.
- 5 oz chicken broth.
- Add Velveeta cheese cubes and allow to melt, while stirring a couple of minutes.
- Add can of condensed cheddar cheese soup, stirring frequently.
- Cook broccoli according to package directions to soften.
- Chop according to how large you want you pieces.
- Use a food processor to chop finely for all of it or part of it.
- Add mushrooms, chopped chicken, and broccoli stirring frequently.
- Add half and half, garlic, garlic salt, tarragon, basil, Worcestershire, lemon juice and salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook about half an hour.
- Add half and half cream, and one pound shredded cheese, cooking and stirring frequently until cheese is melted, and all flavors have been incorporated well.
- Total cook time approx 1 hour.