1 hr 30 mins
Jamie Renee's Note:
This is a fabulous soup recipe, for anytime of the year, but especially fall and winter. Its especially hearty and makes a great meal by itself. This makes a large amount to feed a big group or family. Everyone will rave, I promise! For picky eaters, process the broccoli into tiny pieces and it won't be the focus of the soup. Or if you're a broccoli lover leave the pieces larger.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup butter or 1/2 cup margarine
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2 cups milk
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes
- 49 1/2 ounces canned chicken broth
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can condensed cheddar cheese soup
- 16 ounces Velveeta cheese, cubed
- 1 large onion, chopped and minced finely
- 3 cooked boneless skinless chicken breasts (shredded or diced)
- 12 ounces fresh sliced mushrooms, cleaned
- 16 ounces frozen chopped broccoli
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1 lb marbled cheddar and swiss cheese, grated
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt or 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 3 pinches dried tarragon
- 2 pinches dried basil
- 3 dashes Worcestershire sauce
- white pepper
- 1Finely chop one large onion, by hand or in mini chopper food processor.
- 2In large stockpot melt one stick of butter or margarine.
- 3Sauté onion until tender.
- 4Sift 1/2 cup flour over butter/onion mixture and whisk to form a paste.
- 5Let paste cook and slightly darken but do not burn.
- 6About 6-8 minutes.
- 7Slowly whisk in two cups milk.
- 8Add two chicken bullion cubes and white pepper and allow to thicken a couple of minutes while whisking to get out lumps.
- 9Slowly whisk in one large can 49.
- 105 oz chicken broth.
- 11Add Velveeta cheese cubes and allow to melt, while stirring a couple of minutes.
- 12Add can of condensed cheddar cheese soup, stirring frequently.
- 13Cook broccoli according to package directions to soften.
- 14Chop according to how large you want you pieces.
- 15Use a food processor to chop finely for all of it or part of it.
- 16Add mushrooms, chopped chicken, and broccoli stirring frequently.
- 17Add half and half, garlic, garlic salt, tarragon, basil, Worcestershire, lemon juice and salt and pepper to taste.
- 18Cook about half an hour.
- 19Add half and half cream, and one pound shredded cheese, cooking and stirring frequently until cheese is melted, and all flavors have been incorporated well.
- 20Total cook time approx 1 hour.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Broccoli Cheddar Chicken Mushroom Soup
Serving Size: 1 (369 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 454.8
- Calories from Fat 260
- Total Fat 28.9 g
- Saturated Fat 17.4 g
- Cholesterol 106.3 mg
- Sodium 2060.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 21.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.4 g
- Sugars 6.3 g
- Protein 28.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
marbled cheddar and swiss cheese