Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
Sounds like an unusual combination but it is really good. From Taste of Home.
- 6 cups broccoli florets (about 1 large bunch)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons margarine, divided
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (4 ounce) jar diced pimentos, drained
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 3 tablespoons dry breadcrumbs
- Place broccoli in a saucepan; add 1 inches of water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5-8 minutes or until crisp-tender.
- Meanwhile, in a skillet, saute onion and garlic in 1 tablespoons butter. Spread in a greased 11x7x2 inch baking dish.
- Drain broccoli; place over onion mixture. Top with beans and pimientos. Sprinkle with oregano, salt, pepper, cheese and bread crumbs.
- Melt remaining butter; pour over the top.
- Bake, uncovered at 375 for 20 minutes or until heated through.
I just came on to post this, and I'm glad to see it here! I always make this with a bit less butter and reduced-fat cheese, and the recipe does not suffer for it. I second flyingmarquis' review--just try it!!
I know, I know..... This looks like a weird one at first glance! However, it is a lovely combination of textures and flavors, and makes a great mid-week supper straight out of the pantry. I substituted diced Peppadew peppers for the pimentos, and cannellinis for the great northern beans (I suspect any white or light bean would work well in this dish), and served it with a simple whole grain bread. Perhaps best of all, the cheese/bean combination makes this a simple but complete vegetarian meal. Really- try it!