Prep 40 mins
Cook 1 hr 20 mins
Souped up, flavorful version of this popular casserole.
- 2 cups brown rice
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup red bell pepper, small dice
- 1 cup yellow onion, small dice
- 1 cup poblano chile, small dice (may substitute other mild to medium hot chili pepper)
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups broccoli florets, cut to bite size
- 2 (10 3/4 ounce) cans cream of mushroom soup
- 1 cup nonfat milk
- 1⁄2 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup fontinella cheese, shredded (may substitute parmasean)
- Cook rice according to package, using fat free chicken stock.
- Heat olive oil, over medium heat, in non stick skillet. Add chicken pieces and cook for a few minutes. Add red bell pepper, onion, green chili and mushrooms and cook until softened.
- Stir in garlic, broccoli, soup and milk.
- Mix cheeses together and reserve 1/4 cup.
- Stir in the 3/4 cup mixed cheeses. Stir in the cooked rice. Mix thoroughly and put into casserole dish. Sprinkle with reserved cheese. Bake for 30 min, in 350 degree oven.
This is very tasty and my DH and I agree it is a keeper! I used Asiago cheese in place of fontinella and used canned peppers which I rinsed well. This would also be great with tuna in place of chicken. mmmm