Prep 0 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is one of my favorite soups. The cook time is a guess because it depends on how quick the potaotes cook and cheese melts.
- 4 cups water
- 3 cups potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 carrot, grated
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 head fresh broccoli, chopped into bite size pieces
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 2 cups milk
- 3⁄4 lb Velveeta cheese, cut into chunks
- 1 clove garlic, mashed
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- In a large pan combine water, potaotes, carrot, onion and broccoli.
- Boil just until tender.
- In a double boiler combine butter and flour and make a roux (paste).
- Add milk, and cook stirring constanly, until thick and smooth.
- Add the chunks of velveeta, a few at a time, to milk mixture in double boiler.
- When mixture is thickened and all of the cheese is melted.
- Add cheese mixture to potatoes and mix well.
- Then add salt, pepper and mashed garlic to taste.
Very good! I left about 3 of the 4 cups of water that I cooked the vegetables in, to thin the soup, and I also added a stalk of celery. It was delicious!