Recipe by Kasia#3
This a great brunch item. I have made this twice and it is a hit! Make a day ahead and you are all ready for the next morning.
Top Review by Kona Coffee
For those looking for the Breakfast Strudel, Cuisine at Home, Issue #48, this recipe is it, except don't forget to add the 2T. diced fresh chives. Instead of using a blender, just whisk the eggs and chives together, cook just until set, THEN off heat add cream cheese and juice! Makes a big difference! Wonderful recipe!
- 2 sheet puff pastry
- 29.58 ml butter
- 236.59 ml frozen cubed hash brown potatoes
- 236.59 ml green pepper
- 118.29 ml onion
- 236.59 ml ham
- 11 eggs
- 113.39 g cream cheese
- 29.58 ml orange juice
- 1 egg
- 14.79 ml water
- 29.58 ml parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Thaw pastry according to package directions, about 30 minutes.
- Melt butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium high heat. add potatoes and sauté 5 minutes.
- Stir in bell pepper (can be red or green) and onion; sauté 3 minutes then add cubed ham.
- Add eggs cream cheese and orange juice in blender blend at medium till mixed well.
- Add eggs to the pan and scramble till set.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Refrigerate eggs while working with puff pastry.
- Unfold a pastry sheet on a work surface that's been lightly dusted with flour. Roll pastry lengthwise to 12X10 then transfer to a piece of parchment cut to fit a baking sheet. Trim pastry cut off top corners notch bottom to create flaps.
- Spoon half the egg mixture down the center; cut strips on both sides at a a 45 degree angle.
- Fold up the flaps at both ends, then braid the strips across the filling.
- Lift parchment and strudels onto baking sheets.
- Combine the remaining egg and water; brush over top of strudels. Sprinkle with cheese and bake 20-30 minutes, or until golden.
- Let cool 5 minutes before slicing.
- The ingredients in this can be altered in anyway -- I have used Italian sausage instead of ham and mozzarella cheese. You could do all kinds of different combinations.