Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
Homemade breakfast sausage.
- 4 lbs ground turkey (ground pork can be substituted)
- 4 teaspoons garlic, granulated
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons thyme
- 1 tablespoon fennel seed
- 1 tablespoon parsley
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper, crushed
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup quick oats
- Place ground meat in a large bowl and add garlic, thyme, fennel seeds, parsley, red pepper, salt and oats.
- Mix well, form into patties and individually wrap.
- Use immediately or freeze for future use.
I have used this recipe several times with great results. I've adjusted the ingredients to what I have on hand. I have used lean (4% fat) ground pork, adding 1 egg for binding with the oatmeal. I also included some (1/4 tsp or so) poultry seasoning.
My husband and I were looking for a way to make breakfast sausage late night a couple weeks ago. We always have ground turkey on hand, so it worked out well. Also, used cumin powder instead of fennel seeds. We added some chili powder for a nice kick and extra crushed red pepper and black pepper. Turned out really nice and was awesome in gravy with biscuits. Thanks!
This recipe didn't have the traditional sausage taste I'm looking for. It does, however, tast great as meatballs with spaghetti.