Recipe by D~
This is a savory pudding that is great to make for holiday mornings or for guests because as it can be prepared the night before and popped it in the oven the next morning. Add mushrooms, bell peppers, bacon bits or pretty much anything you would put into an omlet...you're only limited by your imagination and the height of your baking dish.
- 16 slices firm white bread
- 6 tablespoons butter (room temperature)
- 6 large eggs
- 4 cups milk
- 6 -8 ounces finely shredded cheese
- 6 thinly sliced green onions
- salt and pepper
- 3 -5 dashes paprika
Directions See How It's Made
- Butter each slice of bread on one side.
- Then slice 15 pieces once diagonally.
- Whisk eggs and milk together until well combined, then mix in salt and pepper to taste.
- In an 8" round x 3 1/2" deep baking dish (sprayed with non-stick spray) arrange 10 half slices of bread buttered side down in a whirlygig (swirl) pattern filling in any gaps with pieces from the 16th slice of bread.
- Sprinkle evenly with 1/3 of the cheese and 1/3 of the green onions, then pour just enough of the egg and milk mixture to cover.
- Repeat this step twice more, gently pressing down layers 2 and 3 with your hand before adding egg and milk mixture.
- The majority of the egg and milk mixture should go on the top as it will seep down to the layers below.
- Sprinkle with paprika to garnish.
- Cover and set aside for 2 hours at room temperature or refrigerate overnight.
- It must set for a minimum of 2 hours in order to set properly.
- In a preheated 350F oven, bake uncovered 1 hour or until top is golden brown and the center is firm.
- Slice into wedges and serve hot.