Apple 'n' Oats Breakfast Pudding
photo by Sassy J
- Ready In:
- 2 cups nonfat milk
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon reduced fat margarine or 1 tablespoon light butter
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 medium baking apple (peeled, cored, and diced)
- 1 cup rolled oats (not quick oats)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon cream (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350. Lightly coat a 1 quart baking dish with oil spray.
- Combine the milk, sugar, margarine or butter, cinnamon, and salt in a 2 quart saucepan. Cook, stirring constantly, over high heat for 4 minutes to scald the milk.
- Add the apple and the oats. Continue cooking on high for 1 minuted. Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared baking dish. Bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, stir thoroughly. Sprinkle the top with nutmeg. Return to the oven and bake for 15 more minutes.
- Serve warm with cream, if desired.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
We all loved this. I had 8 kids to feed breakfast too, and they raved over it. In fact I should have made two. Thanks for a new breakfast in my rotation. **Tried this again and got all the way to the oats part and realized I was all out. Found some Farina in the back of the cupboard and subbed that in. STILL delicious!
see 8 more reviews
I made this with quick-cooking oats; so I am not going to give it a rating. But I will say, at least the way I made it, I would consider reducing the margarine next time. I don't know if that would be a good idea if rolled oats are used. Also, one thing I would recommend, no matter what kind of oats you use: I think this might be delicious with peaches instead of apples. It seems like they would go really well with the rest of the flavor, which would probably be pretty suggestive of peach cobbler.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I am married and a new mom to a beautiful baby boy. We enjoy eating dinner together and entertaining when we can, and I enjoy cooking and experimenting with new dishes . I am always willing to try something new as I get bored with the same old things.