1/4 Photos of Bread Stuffing
I have used this recipe for over 30 years now (as did my mother)--and everyone loves it! An absolute requirement at our Thanksgiving Holiday table. Recipe makes enough for a 12-pound turkey, and is easily doubled. I have included the optional technique for making stuffing balls. Enjoy! Adapted from Betty Crocker. Note: see tip for freezing.
My Private Note
cups st ...
Units: US | Metric
- 3/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 1/2 cups chopped celery (with leaves)
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 cup butter
- 9 cups soft bread cubes
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried sage
- 1/4 teaspoon ground sage
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1Cook and stir onion and celery in butter in 10 to 12 inch skillet until onion is tender. Stir in about 1/3 of the bread cubes. Turn into a deep bowl. Add remaining ingredients; toss. Stuff turkey just before roasting. 9 cups stuffing.
- 2STUFFING BALLS: Shape stuffing by 1/2 cupfuls into balls; place in greased baking dish. Cover and cook in 325 degree F oven 30 minutes. Uncover and cook 15 minutes longer. 10 Stuffing Balls.
- 3NOTE: To make Corn Bread Stuffing, you can substitute corn bread cubes for the soft bread cubes.
- 4Tip for freezing for Thanksgiving/Christmas:.
- 5NOTE: The unbaked stuffing mixture will freeze great in containers or freezer bags to serve later. To reheat: Thaw and bake it in a greased dish, (rather than in the bird)at 350°F until golden brown on top (about 30 minutes covered, then uncover and bake for 15 minutes more). Don't overbake!
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Bread Stuffing
Serving Size: 1 (94 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 279.6
- Calories from Fat 178
- Total Fat 19.8 g
- Saturated Fat 11.9 g
- Cholesterol 48.8 mg
- Sodium 848.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 22.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.6 g
- Sugars 2.5 g
- Protein 3.6 g