Recipe by eatrealfood
This is delicious, super-easy to make, and the ingredients are what you will always have on hand in your pantry. Before we even knew how to bake cakes and cookies, my little sister and I used to make this whenever a sweet craving attacked us (a not infrequent event!).
Top Review by Chef Sarita in Austin Texas
The is amazing! I didn't have raisins so I added blueberries. I also sprinkled a mixture of 1/2 cup brown sugar, 1 1/2 tbspns flour, cinnamon/nutmeg on top. Thanks so much for posting!
- 10 slices bread
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons vanilla essence
- 3 cups milk
- 4 ounces butter
- nutmeg (optional)
- raisins (optional)
- cinnamon (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven up to 350°F.
- Cut slices of bread into cubes.
- Bake bread cubes for 10 min until a little crisp.
- In a saucepan, heat the milk, and butter but do not allow to boil.
- To this, add the vanilla, beaten eggs and sugar, when a bit cooled.
- Add the baking powder and blend until smooth.
- In an ovenproof tray, layer the cubes of bread and pour over it the liquid prepared above, until the bread is saturated.
- If desired, sprinkle your choice of nutmeg, cinnamon or raisins.
- Bake for approximately 30 minutes or until it browns.