Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is delicious, super-easy to make, and the ingredients are what you will always have on hand in your pantry. Before we even knew how to bake cakes and cookies, my little sister and I used to make this whenever a sweet craving attacked us (a not infrequent event!).
- Heat oven up to 350°F.
- Cut slices of bread into cubes.
- In a saucepan, heat the milk, and butter but do not allow to boil.
- To this, add the vanilla, beaten eggs and sugar, when a bit cooled.
- Add the baking powder and blend until smooth.
- In an ovenproof tray, layer the cubes of bread and pour over it the liquid prepared above, until the bread is saturated.
- If desired, sprinkle your choice of nutmeg, cinnamon or raisins.
- Bake for approximately 30 minutes or until it browns.
The is amazing! I didn't have raisins so I added blueberries. I also sprinkled a mixture of 1/2 cup brown sugar, 1 1/2 tbspns flour, cinnamon/nutmeg on top. Thanks so much for posting!
I had exactly 10 pcs of slightly old bread so I felt it was in the stars and I was compelled to make this bread pudding. The only things I changed was I used the last of my coconut milk instead of regular, used Cherry flavored Craisins and baked an additional 5 minutes. It is delicious!! I've never made bread pudding before. Now I know I will again. Thanks for posting!
This recipe was absolutely amazing! I also added 2 tsp brandy extract, extra butter and a splash of cream and served it with a brown sauce. This is the best dessert I've ever made. My dinner guests all went back for seconds.