Recipe by Karen=^..^=
This starts in the bread machine and bakes in the oven. All cake ingredients should be at room temperature, except for the milk.
Top Review by Tim Barker
This is a fantastic recipe and the proportions are perfect. However, I am vegan so I used soya milk, a good quality veg margarine and just left out the egg. (I am not sure why an egg is needed in a yeast cake recipe anyway.)<br/><br/>The cake turned out beautifully. As you can see from my added photo I used a shaped tin (half of it was eaten before I had the chance to take the photo) The structure of the cake is amazing.<br/><br/>The fact that I can use non dairy ingredients proves what a wonderful recipe it is.<br/><br/>By the way, the recipe topping goes really well with the cake. I didn't get a chance to use the glaze though.
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 1⁄4 cups bread flour
- 2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1 egg yolk
- 7⁄8 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pecans or 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup sifted powdered sugar (optional)
- 2 tablespoons milk (optional)
- 1 teaspoon butter, softened (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Add all cake ingredients to bread pan.
- Select "Dough" setting on your machine and press start.
- Grease a 9 inch round pan or an 8 x 8 inch square pan.
- After cycle is through (about 90 minutes), remove dough and pat dough into prepared pan.
- Topping: Drizzle melted butter over dough.
- Mix together sugar, cinnamon and nuts; sprinkle over butter.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375* and bake cake for 20-25 minutes, until golden.
- Cool 10 minutes in pan on wire rack.
- Drizzle with optional glaze, if desired.
- Combine all glaze ingredients in a small bowl and whisk until smooth.
- Spread or drizzle glaze over slightly warm cake.