Prep 1 hr
Cook 45 mins
A traditional Russian Pascha Bread recipe for use in a bread machine
- 1 cup milk (room temperature)
- 1⁄3 cup butter, melted, or
- 1⁄3 cup margarine, melted
- 1 egg (room temperature)
- 1 egg yolk (room temperature)
- 1⁄4-1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups bread flour
- 1 package yeast, or
- 2 1⁄4 teaspoons loose yeast
- Layer ingredients in bread machine per your machine's instructions.
- Put on dough (or manual) cycle.
- When done, divide dough in half (or thirds if you want smaller loaves).
- Put in greased pans.
- Let rise 45 to 65 minutes. If you are having problems with the bread rising, put a pan of hot water on the lower rack of the oven and the bread on the upper rack (oven is off).
- Brush tops with beaten egg diluted with water.
- Bake in preheated oven at 350 F for 20 to 40 minutes. (Check bread at 20 minutes and then often until loaves are golden brown and sound hollow when lightly tapped).