Recipe by Engrossed
Mandy from Oz requested her Choc Chip Bread & Butter Pudding & Butterscotch Sauce be made lighter so I took on the challenge. I not only cut the fat and sugar but added more flavor. Yum! I started with 1 serving of her recipe and worked off of that and made it 2 servings. I think this would be good with bananas tossed in orange juice mixed in it too! There are more ways to make it even lighter which I have offered below. You could also omit the sauce. ***Nutrition facts for Splenda brown sugar blend: 1/2 tsp= 10 calories and 2g sugars. So if you use all of it in this recipe that should bring the calories up to 386 per serving and the sugar to 20.5g per serving.
Top Review by Sydney Mike
Since I have 'measuring spoons' that include 'tad,' 'smidgen' & 'pinch,' I think I should also have those for 'scant teaspoon' or 'GENEROUS 1/4 teaspoon,' as well! Still, I managed to get through this recipe with only a minor addition ~ I used a VERY GENEROUS 1/4 teaspoon of orange zest in the pudding! Long story short, I used a whole wheat sourdough & ended up with an OUTSTANDING PUDDING! Thanks for sharing a great recipe! [Tagged, made & reviewed in Please Review My Recipe cooking game]
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted (optional) or 1 tablespoon I Can't Believe It's Not Butter! Spray (optional)
- 2 slices sourdough bread or 2 slices whole wheat sourdough bread
- 1 egg
- 1 -2 tablespoon Splenda granular
- 1⁄2 cup 1% low-fat milk or 1⁄2 cup nonfat milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon rum extract or 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon orange zest
- 1 -2 tablespoon semi-sweet chocolate chips (optional)
- 1 teaspoon Splenda brown sugar blend (optional) or 1 teaspoon Splenda granular (optional)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons Splenda brown sugar blend
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch cream of tartar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons fat-free evaporated milk
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla
- Cool Whip Lite, to top (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Grease two 1-cup ramekins.
- Brush melted butter onto bread slices. Cut them into small cubes. Put aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk egg and Splenda together until pale.
- Whisk in milk, extract, and zest until well combined.
- Stir in bread cubes and chocolate chips until most of the liquid is absorbed.
- Spoon into 2 prepared ramekins.
- Mix together brown sugar Splenda, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Sprinkle over the pudding tops.
- Place pudding ramekins into a small baking dish filled halfway with hot water so that they are each surrounded by the water.
- Bake in preheated oven for 50 minutes.
- Butterscotch Sauce:.
- In a 2-cup glass pyrex, stir together brown sugar Splenda, salt, cream of tartar and cornstarch.
- Slowly stir in evaporated milk and put 1 tbsp of butter in it.
- Microwave on high for 3 minutes.
- Stir in vanilla.
- Reheat if made ahead.
- To Serve:.
- Drizzle hot sauce over puddings.
- Top with a dollop of Cool Whip Lite, if desired.