24 hrs 20 mins
A friend gave me this recipe and everyone who has tried them wants to take a jar home. Great on hot dogs with cream cheese (just try it).
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 quarts cucumbers (small-large okay)
- 3 cups thinly sliced small onion
- 2 green bell peppers, diced
- 1 sweet red pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup pickling salt
- 4 cups sugar
- 4 cups white vinegar
- 2 teaspoons turmeric
- 2 teaspoons mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/4 teaspoon alum or 1/4 teaspoon pickling lime (optional)
- 1Thinly slice cucumbers and combine with onions, peppers, and salt.
- 2Cover and let sit 12 hours or add 2 trays of ice cubes and let set 3 hours.
- 3Drain well.
- 4Combine sugar, vinegar, tumeric, mustard seed, celery seed in large saucepan and bring to a boil.
- 5Add veggies and return to full boil.
- 6Pack in hot sterilized jars, add 1/4 tsp alum if you like to keep crispier.
- 7Process in hot water bath for 10 minutes.
- 8I dont use alum and I buy Ball pickling Lime which I soak the cucumbers in for 12-24 hours before proceeding with the recipe.
- 9They are always crispier that way but bread and butter pickles are good soft too so dont worry about it if you prefer not to use lime or alum.
Browse Our Top Sauces Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Bread and Butter Pickles - canned
Serving Size: 1 (3997 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 477.3
- Calories from Fat 6
- Total Fat 0.6 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 7086.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 115.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.6 g
- Sugars 106.9 g
- Protein 2.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: