Recipe by mlao77
A great way to use up all the veggies in your refridgerator and end up with a delicious and hearty meal. I make this with pantry standards like onions, carrots and garlic but anything you have handy (mushrooms, celery, etc) will just add more depth to this dish. So with just a little involved prep time you can walk away for 2 hours and feed your family something everyone will enjoy any time of the year! And this meal is even more yummy the next day so don't hesitate to make it ahead for a future dinner...
- 2 lbs beef short ribs
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground thyme
- 3 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 3 onions, chopped
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 cup white wine
- 3⁄4 cup chicken broth
Directions See How It's Made
- Pre-heat oven to 275 degrees.
- In a large, oven-safe dutch oven or heavy bottomed pot, heat the olive oil on medium-high heat.
- Season short ribs generously with kosher salt, black pepper and ground thyme on all sides.
- In the olive oil, sear the short ribs in batches. About 3 minutes on each side. Transfer ribs to a plate and set aside.
- Lower heat to medium and add garlic and onions. Saute for 4 minutes to soften.
- Add carrots and bay leaf and continue to saute for 3 minutes more. If using other vegetables, add them to the pan now and saute for as long is necessary.
- Add the white wine to the pan and stir to combine ingredients. About 2 minutes.
- Add short ribs and drippings to the pan. Bury the ribs deep into the vegetable mixture and add chicken broth. Cover with a lid.
- Bring pot to a boil and place inside pre-heated oven for 2 hours.
- Serve with mashed potatoes or buttered egg noodles and enjoy!