Prep 15 mins
Cook 8 hrs
This recipe is a family favorite.
- 3 -4 lbs short rib of beef
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1 cup beer or 1 cup beef broth or 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 3 tablespoons water
- Place ribs on broiler rack and brown to remove fat. Drain well.
- Combine 1/2 cup flour with paprika, salt and dry mustard. Toss with ribs.
- Place remaining ingredients (except 2 TBSPS flour and 2 TBSPS water) in Crock Pot.
- Stir to mix ribs with onion rings -- be sure the onions are under the ribs, not on top.
- Cover and cook LOW 8-12 hours.
- Remove the ribs to warm serving platter. Make a smooth past of the flour and water. Turn Crock Pot to HIGH and stir in paste. Cover and cook until gravy is thickened.
DH and I both felt this recipe is wonderful! I made it exactly as shown, using my own homemade beef broth. It was very flavorful and tender.
I suppose most would consider this bland, but I LOVED IT and WILL make again. I have a sensitive stomach so It can't handle a lot of acids and pepper/heat.. we had this over noodles and heated up some leftover 24K carrots.. YUMMY!