Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
Tasty side dish for poultry, pork, or sausages.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 medium onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 apple, halved, cored, and sliced
- 1 head red cabbage, cored, quartered, and thinly sliced (2 pounds)
- coarse salt and pepper
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 4 teaspoons sugar
- 1⁄2 cup water
- In a large Dutch oven or heavy pot, melt butter over medium. Add onion and apple; cook, stirring, until onion softens, 4 to 6 minutes. Stir in red cabbage and season with coarse salt and ground pepper. Add cider vinegar, sugar, and water. Bring to a boil; reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook until cabbage is tender, 20 to 25 minutes. Season with salt, pepper, and sugar.