Prep 30 mins
Cook 40 mins
Don't say you wont eat rabbit until you've tried this one. You can make it without the cold smoking portion also.
- 1 small rabbit (1 to 2 lb.)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon basil, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chervil, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon thyme, chopped
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons butter, clarified
- 1 red onion, pared,halved
- 1 carrot (batonette)
- 1 celery rib (batonette)
- 2 red potatoes, cut in quarter
- 1 quart brown chicken stock
- 4 ounces lima beans, shelled
- skinned seeded finely chopped tomatoes, pulp
- lemon thyme, chopped,to taste
- Remove hind legs from rabbit; remove thigh bones.
- Combine herbs; sprinkle in thigh cavity.
- Season with salt and pepper; reserve.
- Trim off belly and front legs; cold smoke using desired wood for about 1 hour.
- Season rabbit loin; dice smoked pieces.
- Place butter in large pan; heat until hot.
- Add loin and smoked pieces; sear on all sides.
- Remove from pan; reserve.
- Place onion, carrot and celery in pan; cook until onion is caramelized.
- Return rabbit loin, smoked pieces and thigh to pan; add potatoes, stock and lima beans.
- Heat to boiling; cover.
- Place in 210 degree F oven; braise for 30 to 40 minutes.
- Remove rabbit loin, thighs, celery, carrot, onion and potatoes; reserve hot.
- Strain stock; place lima beans and smoked pieces in saute pan.
- Add tomato concassee and pinch of herbs; saute lightly.
- Add herbs to stock; heat until hot.
- Adjust seasoning.
- TO SERVE: Debone loin; reserve meat warm.
- Arrange celery and carrot batons on warm platter; lay thighs over.
- Arrange potatoes in two rows; place lima bean mixture in space between rows.
- Lay loins on beans.
- Pour stock over all.
- Serve with cornbread.
I "tweeted" this a bit but was excellent.