Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 0 mins
Cook 3 hrs
Gotten from www.gourmet.com.
Make and share this Braised Chile Spiced Short Ribs With Black Beans recipe from Food.com.
- 1 lb dried black beans
- 8 cups water
- 1⁄2 california bay leaf
- 1 1⁄4 ounces dried ancho chiles (3-4 medium)
- 2 cups water, boiling hot
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons canned chipotle chiles in adobo, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon chipotle chile in adobo
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 3 whole cloves
- 2 1⁄3 cups cold water, divided
- 5 lbs beef short ribs
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1⁄4 lb bacon, chopped
- 1 cinnamon stick (3-in. long)
- Put beans in a 4-5 quart heavy pot with enough water to cover by 2 inches. Bring to a boil and boil 2 minutes, then remove from heat and let stand, covered, 1 hour.
- Wipe anchos clean, then stem and seed. Discard ribs and tear anchos into pieces.
- Soak anchos in boiling hot water until softened, about 20 minutes. Transfer anchos to blender, reserving soaking liquid.
- Puree anchos with onion, garlic, chipotles with sauce, tomato paste, molasses, cumin, cloves, 1/3 Celsius water, and 1t. salt.
- Pat ribs dry and season with 1 1/2 t. salt and 1 t. pepper. Heat oil in a wide 6-8 quart heavy pot over med-high heat until it shimmers. Brown ribs in batches, about 6 minutes per batch. Transfer as browned to a platter. Discard fat from pot.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees with rack in the middle.
- Cook bacon in pot over medium heat until browned, then transfer with a slotted spoon to platter.
- Stir chile puree into fat in pot. Cook, stirring frequently, 6 minutes. Stir in reserved chile-soaking liquid, remaining 2 Celsius water, and cinnamon stick and bring to a boil. Return ribs and bacon to pot and braise, covered, in oven until ribs are very tender, 3-3 1/2 hours. Skim fat from sauce.
- Drain beans, then return to pot and add fresh water (8 cups), bay leaf, and 1/2 t. salt. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, until beans are just tender, 1 1/4 to 2 hours (Depending on age of beans). Drain just before serving.