Recipe by Inge 1505
Quick and easy. A German side dish favorite for fried meat or fish. Sweetness comes from cooking in butter and a little sugar. I only use enough sugar to support the natural sweetness of the carrots, not to actually sweeten them.
- 2 lbs carrots, peeled
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4-3⁄4 cup hot water
- 2 tablespoons parsley or 2 tablespoons chervil, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut carrots into 1/8 in rounds or 1/4 in dice.
- In a wide, low pot melt butter over medium heat, add carrots and cook about 3 minutes, stirring frequently until carrots have a "glazed" look.
- Add, sugar and cook another minute.
- Add salt and 1/4 cup hot water, cover, reduce heat to medium low and let cook until carrots are done, checking and stirring occasionally. Add a little more water if necessary to prevent sticking. Dish should be almost dry when done.
- I usually cook for 10 minutes but cooking time can vary considerably due to age and sort of carrots as well as your your personal preference.
- When done serve sprinkled with a little parsley or chervil (which is nice with fish).